The scale and complexity of managing large, global product catalogues creates a big translation management challenge.
Thanks to AI, owners of catalogues now have an opportunity to make a step change in how quickly (up to 75%) and how cost-effectively (up to 50%) they can get their important product information to market.
Combining professional translators with proven Lingo24 technology can allow these businesses to get more global content to more markets, while achieving significant cost savings – both internally and in any external translation spend.
How the savings can stack up over time
- 50,000 products refreshed at 10% / year
- 100 words / product
- 10 target languages
- £750,000/year Typical cost of traditional translation with no technology benefit
- 40-45% savings by combining Translation Memory, repetition savings and AI-based Machine Translation
potential annual savings when working with Lingo24 (indicative)
Faster to market
Content rolled out in every geography in less than a week – a process that used to take this global business over a month.
Leading global electronics distributor
- Leading distributor of electronics and electronic components
- First to market globally with new products
- More than 20 million SKUs
- Catalogue in 15 languages
Challenge and opportunity
- Sought to replicate US success in foreign markets, but limited by 4 week lag between US and international launch losing first-to-market opportunity
- Needed a solution for high volume, high quality, with limited budget
- Getting to market quicker means growth, it could mean 25% = $250m
International specialist in plastic, fiber, foam and packaging products
- Global presence: 33 countries
- More than 150,000 SKUs
- Acquiring new businesses globally
Challenge and opportunity
- Moving large volumes of content was taking too long,
- The lack of context hit quality as translators weren’t able to differentiate between products.
- Different countries required different content beyond just local language
- The same text had to be used by multiple systems with varying standards.
- In 18 months, time to launch new products globally has halved from 4 weeks to 2 weeks – this year we’ll work with them to hit 1 week, a reduction of 75%.
- Cost per translated word has reduced by over 60%
- Up to 50% per-word cost reduction combining Translation Memory with AI- based Machine Translation
- Increased quality as a result of efficiently using product context information (a feature in Coach)
- Accelerated speed to market by removing non-translatable content
How we work with product content
The descriptive nature of product catalogue content makes it ideally suited to combine:
- Industry leading data management and file filtering techniques
- Use of AI (Machine Translation) to increase productivity
- Professional, in-country translators.