Translation Service in the UK: Lingo24's History
Lingo24 was founded in Aberdeen in September, 2001, by Christian Arno, to provide translation services in the UK and abroad. The company was launched following a successful pilot project with Arno's friend and fellow Oxford alumnus, Jos Shepherd.
The company has grown rapidly since that date, and now operates internationally, providing translation services around the clock. Here are some key dates in the development of Lingo24:
- 2001 September: company founded in Aberdeen by Christian Arno.
- 2002 March: first Lingo24 site is launched. The business starts to grow!
- 2003 August: Lingo24 is named best e-business start-up in Scotland.
- 2003 November: New Zealand operation founded with four employees.
- 2004 December: Chinese operation begins with two employees.
- 2005 March: Romanian operation starts, with five employees.
- 2006 November: Lingo24 establishes its first London office at the Media Village, Great Titchfield Street; three London based employees.
- 2007 September: Lingo24 celebrates its sixth birthday; over forty full-time members of staff globally.
- 2008 January: Panama operation begins with eight employees.
- 2008 August: Edinburgh office opens with six employees.
- 2009 June: XTM becomes part of Lingo24’s operation system
- 2009 September: Lingo24 closes the financial year with 31% growth compared to 2008 and €4m turnover
- 2010 April: New London office opens at 131-151 Great Titchfield Street
- 2010 June: US Senior Manager for Business Development, Elaine Olshanetsky, joins the company, based in San Francisco.
- 2010 September: Lingo24 closes the 2010 financial year with turnover of £5m GBP.
- 2010 October: Lingo24 wins HSBC Business Thinking award, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- 2011 January: Lingo24 opens first major Asian hub in Cebu City, Philippines. World-wide staff exceeds 150 full-time employees.
- 2011 May: Lingo24 places at number 81 on The Times' Fast Track 100 list - the fastest growing translation agency in the UK.
- 2011 September: Director for the Americas, Mark Slobbe, joins Lingo24.
- 2012 April: Lingo24 announces its largest ever contract, worth up to $6 million, with an American technology company.
- 2012 May: Lingo24 launches its new office in Nuremberg, offering better services to our clients in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- 2012 September: Romanian office moves to a new, larger hub in central Timisoara, to accommodate growing staff numbers.